Wednesday, March 18, 2009

FHE

FHE at our house was a blast Monday night!
We have been looking forward to this since fall came last year, and killed our balcony garden. I have become antsy, can't wait for spring, can't wait for fresh veggies, oh the taste of our beloved cherry tomatoes. (Oh, the work...keeping the boys from over watering, and overly loving their baby plants.)
Part of our lesson was from the friend...

Our Family Garden
By Elaine Champion
Friend, Jun 2002, 48
My family is a garden, A place where we can grow. Our garden is for people, Not plants grown in a row.
We’re growing love and patience. We’re growing kindness, too. We’ve planted seeds of service For things we all can do.
Politeness grows inside us; We’re sharing more each day. Our smiles are growing bigger—Like the hugs we give away.
We can tell that we are growing The seeds of love and cheer—We fill our home with sunshine And feel our Savior near.
I love our family garden, Although I’m still quite small, ’Cause in our family garden, I’m growing straight and tall.
and

Plant a Garden
Words and music by Sally DeFord
1. If I planted a garden, If I carefully sowed, If I nourished each tiny seed, If I tended it well, And helped it to grow, What a beautiful harvest I’d reap.
2. In my life, like a garden, There are seeds to be sown. I must choose with the greatest care, Planting only what’s good So I can be sure Only beautiful things will grow there.
3. I am planting my garden Every day of my life, And the harvest is mine to keep. If I plant seeds of faith, Of honor and truth, What a beautiful harvest I’ll reap.

We then headed out to the front porch and planted seeds for our garden. Wolf really didn't get into the gardening mode last year, so it was cute for him to help the boys plant seeds, and I tried to keep up marking what we planted where in our little green house. ( I think I failed to keep up, so we may end up with more plants than I had planned for.) Then Wolf woke me up Tuesday morning to say that he thinks we should get more pots... does this mean he is excited about the garden this year? Anyway, I went and got more pots, and of course more seeds... we shall try some carrots, and beans I think, those are things we didn't try last year.
I am so excited! I am shaking all over... isn't it silly to feel this way about the coming of spring/summer? Oh, if only our balcony were twice the size, wouldn't that be twice the fun? (Last year it was nice to have the balcony garden, although it was tough taking care of it when I could hardly move...maybe that is why I am so excited about it this year.)

3 comments:

Rob and Jill said...

Sherry, Sherry, quite contrary, how does your garden grow? Way to get things going already! I'm excited to start my garden too. I sorely miss fresh tomatoes! I just need to figure out where to put my garden :)

Bethany said...

yay for gardens!! We're going to try growing tomatoes this year and also hopefully strawberries. Yum!!

Heather, Rick and Savannah said...

I am about shaking all over waiting for spring, too! Just when I think it is here, there is another cold spell. But, I think it is almost over. Good luck on the garden! You will have to post some pics when they start to grow! I'm sure your kids loved it--you are such great parents!