Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Conversations with an Alligator

...I just want you to know that I am still laughing...
Stephen is such a cute boy. He turned 4 yesterday. First when I said "Happy Birthday" to him yesterday morning, he was confused. (How could the day he had been talking about for 6 months finally be here? He has been planning his birthday cake since June.) He asked me how he got to be 4, and I told him he was born 4 years ago, and woke up this morning, that's how it happens, you turn 1, then 2, then 3, and then 4, and the number goes up each year. He said, "Well, turning 4 was easy then!"
His birthday shouldn't have been a surprize however. He knew I took Skyler out shopping for birthday gifts on Monday. He also commented on the things I bought to make his alligator cake, and cheered when I baked the cake Monday night.
Stephen began begging that I let him decorate his cake right after breakfast. (Skyler would not have been good to have around while decorating however, so we planned to decorate the cake while Skyler had his afternoon nap.)

...By this point you are wondering why this post is called,
"Conversation with an Alligator"
if it is about Stephen's birthday cake...

As I said, I am sure, in a previous post, Stephen is a funny boy. He asked me if his alligator (he says "Diagator") was real. I said it was a real cake. He wanted to know if it would become a real diagator. I said it wouldn't come to life. He wanted to know why...well hun, it's a cake. He quickly told the cake that he would love him anyway.

...We frosted the body first...
...Then added legs...

"Mom, are you sure it is an diagator? 'cause it kind of looks like a car." (At this point it was a cake baked in a loaf pan, and 2 cupcakes cut in half for legs...all frosted green.) Hummm...makes me think it would be an awesome car by the way.

...Then we added the head...
And low and behold...before we even got it frosted, he started to speak!
(Squeaky voiced Stephen) "Hello, Happy Birthday! I am your diagator!"
(Stephen's normal voice) "I love diagators!"
(Squeaky voice) "Don't eat me."
(Normal voice) "Mom, I don't know if a diagator cake would be good to eat."
(Squeaky voice) "I want to go play."
(Normal voice) "My mom has to put your tail on first."
(Squeaky voice) "I don't want you to eat me. I just want to play."

...Let just say that
this conversation with the alligator continued...

(Normal voice) "What is your name?"
(Squeaky voice) "You can call me Tasty the Diagator"

...Until they were very good friends
...And perhaps is continuing on even now as this cake is eaten...

We now present to you Tasty the Alligator, and the amazing Birthday Boy Stephen.



We hope that you had a wonderful Birthday Stephen!!! We love you!

9 comments:

Rob and Jill said...

Cute boy, and cute gator! You are so creative. Sorry we didn't make it for gator and ice cream. What a funny boy. HAPPY BIRTHDAY STEPHEN!!!

toni said...

Sorry we didn't make it. I wish I could make a cake as cute as that! Tell Stephen hi for us

Jill said...

That is the most awesome cake I have ever seen! How did you come up with that? I would have had to spend like $50 on a cake like that at the store because there is no way I could have made that... i'm impressed at your talent. Stephen is too cute. :)

~Sherry (Bear) and Stephen (Wolf) said...

Jill P., Stephen had been talking about having an alligator cake for months...so I looked on www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com for ideas. I wanted something different, but it gave a couple of ideas for what others had done. I really didn't know what I was doing til I went to the store the day before. (I talked over plans with Stephen (the small one), he likes being involved in the planning of cakes, and had some suggestions.)

Anonymous said...

What a cutie, Happy birthday Stephen! I'll bet you just about died when he started to talk for the cake. Too, too cute!

Heather, Rick and Savannah said...

That is such a cute story! Kids say the funniest things. They are so great to have around, aren't they? I can't believe Stephen is already 4! And that is seriously an awesome cake, by the way. I am still scratching my head wondering how you did that! You have such a cute family.

Jared and Delia said...

Happy Birthday!!!

I love the creative cakes that you make!

Stephen IS SO FUNNY! What a smart, creative boy.

Bethany said...

happy birthday Stephen! That is a grat job with the cake! Very cute!

Bowman and Nanette said...

What a great story, Sherry. Your boys sound like loads of fun--especially when they speak for alligators :)
Hope y'all are doing well!